Thursday, February 22, 2007

Flow and Mindfulness

“… flow – the state in which people are so involved in an activity that nothing else seems to matter; the experience itself is so enjoyable that people will do it even at great cost, for the sheer sake of doing it.” (Csikzentmihalyi, 1991)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Mindfulness is the practice whereby a person is intentionally aware of his or her thoughts and actions in the present moment, non-judgmentally. Mindfulness is applied to both bodily actions and the mind's own thoughts and feelings.

What kinds of activities get you into these states? Personally, I remember glass beadmaking and computer programming getting me into a state of flow. Also, remembering my happiest moments gets me into a state of flow. As to mindfulness, I think I'm achieving a constant state of it. Very powerful stuff.

No comments: